This is almost entirely derived from the queen, Audrey Hepburn, herself!
- 1 box of spaghetti (16 oz.)
- 1 28 oz. can of plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 chopped carrots
- 3 chopped stalks of celery
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 6 cloves of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped basil
- Dice the carrots, onion, and celery. Thinly slice the basil leaves. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook until softened but not brown.
- Add in the basil leaves and tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking apart the larger tomatoes with a spoon or potato masher as they cook down into a sauce.
- After 45 minutes, remove the sauce from the heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, fill another large pot with water (and a pinch of salt) and bring to a boil. Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Serve pasta topped generously with sauce and your favorite vegan parmesan cheese.
*I changed very little about this recipe from the original, just little things here and there. Feel free to check out the original via video here. You can also check out this video about Audrey Hepburn, her life, and what inspired her to create this recipe here.
*I personally love vegetables big and chunky in this sauce so I chop them all to about the size of my thumbnail. Chop to your preference!