This vegan variation is as satisfying as the dairy based cream sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of vodka
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 10 oz. container of hummus
- 1 16 oz. box of penne pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the yellow onion, garlic, and fresh basil. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot until shimmering. Sauté onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then, add vodka and allow it to cook for about 2 minutes. This will allow some of the strong alcohol taste to cook off without taking it away completely. Reduce heat to low-medium after the 2 minutes and add your diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and basil.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the sauce from the heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, fill another large pot with water (and a pinch of salt) and bring to a boil. Cook the penne until al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Once pasta is drained, add the hummus to your sauce and stir in until it is fully combined. It should appear as a bright pink-red. Add salt and pepper and stir in cooked pasta until fully combined.
- Serve pasta with your favorite vegan parmesan cheese and enjoy!
*The quality of the vodka isn’t super important here, but you definitely taste the difference without it.
*Feel free to rotate different flavors of hummus. I’ve used roasted garlic, classic, lemon, and sun-dried tomato and each one has come out delicious.
*Feel free to also add chopped sun-dried tomatoes (especially smoked sun-dried tomatoes) to this dish or top it with roasted broccoli (as pictured above).
*I originally got the idea to swap out cream and cheese with hummus from Sinful Nutrition. Feel free to check out her variation of penne alla vodka here.