A bulk bin friendly vegan recipe for making friends
Mason Jar Cheese Powder Mix
- nutritional yeast (about 2/3 of the mason jar—pint sized or 16 oz.)
- 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch (depending on how thick you want the cheese sauce)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 8 oz. of elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/3 cup of non-dairy milk
- Steamed Broccoli
- Fried Onions
- Crumbled Ritz Crackers
Mason Jar Prep
- Take a clean pint-sized mason jar and fill it up 2/3 of the way to the top with nutritional yeast. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch (depending how thick you want the sauce) and the spices.
- Close the jar and shake it well to evenly distribute powder mix. Store in jar for up to 6 months.
Mac + Cheese
- Boil 2 cups of water in a medium sauce pan. Once the water is boiling, add 1 cup (8 oz.) of elbow macaroni and cook until al dente.
- Once macaroni is al dente, remove from heat, drain the pasta (do not rinse!) and add it back to the hot saucepan. Add vegan butter and coat noodles generously.
- Add vegan milk and 3 tablespoons of mason jar “cheese” powder. Mix until it creates a dreamy “cheese” sauce. Top with any additional toppings you think of and enjoy!
*This makes the equivalent of a box of Annie’s or Kraft boxed macaroni and cheese. Feel free to double or triple the recipe if you eat more than a box at a time, I will be the last person to judge you.
*What’s beautiful about the mason jar cheese powder is that it creates an instant cheese powder for whenever you’re craving mac and cheese. If you fill the jar to the top with the mix, then you’ve made 48 tablespoons of powder (i.e. 16 servings!)