a.k.a. Chinese takeout styled perfection
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen broccoli (chopped or florets)
- 2 cups of vegan chicken broth (I use Better than Bouillon’s No Chicken Base found here)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce
- 4 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch (depending how thick you’d like your sauce).
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (optional topping)
- Steam frozen broccoli in microwave according to package directions. Meanwhile, mince the garlic.
- Pour all sauce ingredients in a large saucepan while broccoli is steaming in the microwave. Mix evenly to ensure there are no lumps of corn starch in the sauce. Simmer between 2-3 minutes until the sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Remove from heat. Add steamed broccoli and mix until broccoli is well coated in sauce. Serve over brown rice (or any other rice you’d like) and enjoy!
*You can find vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce in any Asian market. It usually comes in a large bottle and is a great addition to any stir fry. It also acts as a great vegan/vegetarian replacement for fish sauce.
*Soy sauce isn’t always vegan, so please make sure the one you’re purchasing is. You can look for the certified vegan symbol or just at the ingredients, but some soy sauces utilize different fish oils. I personally like to use this soy sauce here since it’s both certified vegan and gluten free (though I typically buy mine at the grocery store).
*This recipe was heavily inspired by The Spruce Eats Chinese Brown Sauce recipe which you can find here.