The fanciest way to use up your springtime seasonal produce.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek chopped, white and light green parts only
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 10 oz. of frozen peas, steamed
- 1 6 oz. bag of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup of chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer vegetable broth and white wine in a medium saucepan. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil until shimmering over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and leeks to the large sauté pan and cook for about 5 five minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds before adding poetry seasoning, arborio rice, and lemon juice. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and wine mixture to your arborio rice skillet at a time. Cook until rice has mostly absorbed liquid and then add another 1/2 cup of liquid. Continue to do this until you have no more broth/wine mixture left and the rice is fully cooked, having absorbed all of the liquid. Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon zest, basil, peas, and spinach. Stir to combine. Add red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Serve with roasted and/or steamed broccoli (if you’d like) and enjoy!
*This is not a recipe you can really “set and forget” — the rice absorbing the liquid happens fast so you’ll want to keep a close eye on the risotto!
*Arborio rice is naturally gluten free, and this risotto is no exception.
*The original inspiration for this recipe came from Gwyneth Paltrow’s Amazingly Creamy Risotto with Greens which you can find here.